Sometimes I feel it is cliche to start the whole gratitude thing, almost like it is forced. Last week I went in to get my first root canal in my life. After sitting in his chair for 2 hrs and he wasn't done, I knew something wasn't right. Aparrently the infection had calcified making it impossible to drill all the way through the canal. Not wanting to risk breaking the tooth with more drilling, the endodontist recommended minor surgery to cut through the gums to the bone and go up the tooth from the bottom - I like to call it a "reverse root canal". I had convinced myself that since the endodontist would only be giving me a local numbing shot that the dental work was minor and I would be fine in a day or so...boy was I wrong. When he finished, he said that it would take 7-10 days... What?! With a swollen jaw and brusing, I've come to realize that it was "surgery". So this year, just having had minor mouth surgery, I really see many things to be grateful for.
1. breakfast cereal - glad that my kids don't mind eating it for dinner on those nights I haven't felt like cooking.
2. crunchy food - toasted sandwiches, etc. I've been relegated to only eating soup, yogurt, and soft foods. Five days after surgery and I still can't bit down very hard. I can only chew on one side of my mouth. With 15 stitches, I have to keep anything away that might pull them loose.
3. Myomed, ice packs, ibuprofen, and loritab - made the pain more like a discomfort.
4. a wonderful, understanding hubby - when I finished the surgery, I drove to his work and just cried on his shoulder. Then he said everything would be okay. Life was good again.
5. a healthy family - yeah sure, we've battled the flu a couple of weeks ago. But in general, we are fairly healthy.
6. wonderful friends - one of my friends kept Brady the entire day of my surgery, another friend brought me chicken noodle soup and a frosty for lunch and also dinner, and another brought us dinner. And another brought me soup again for lunch. So much thoughtfulness.
7. my faith, prayer, and a listening Heavenly Father. I've laid in bed, praying about various things, worries, etc. and I know he listens and is comforting me.
2 comments:
So glad you are okay. I had my first root canal a couple of years ago and I feel your pain. Glad you are ok.
So glad you made a comment so I could find your blog again.
Thanks for your inspiring words.
I love this time of year. I love that people open up a little more and express their feelings and appreciation more.
It made me think about all the fun we used to have in Provo.
You're a wonderful mom!
Since I was trying to make a comment with kids running around me in circles, I noticed it sounds kinda disjointed.
Anyway, I know you understand.
Hope you have a great Christmas.
We might be up there this summer if Wes gets into EFY. Would love to see you guys.
Post a Comment