The first day, Rachel, accompanied by Jared was presented in the formal wear competition. We found this dress at David's Bridal for $60. A good friend hemmed it and helped me fix the sleeves. She looks beautiful.
| proud papa |
| proud brothers |
| proud mama & grandma (3 generations) |
The next morning, bright and early, was the personal introduction and interviews. Rachel wrote her own brief introduction: "Hi, my name is Rachel Wright. I am from Highland, Utah and my ambition is to become a lawyer.
There are many people out there who are disadvantaged and need help. I want to be that person because I like to help people and want them to be treated fairly. But, if you ask my brothers, they say I'd be a lawyer because I like to argue!" It was great. We told her she needed to say something to lighten the mood and help the judges remember her. We were so proud of how well she did. I don't think she has ever spoken in front of that many people with a microphone. She was a pro.
Saturday afternoon was the final pageant. All the girls in the preteen category (ages 10-12) did a routine together and then ran off stage to get back into their formal wear for the final presentations.
| Pre-Teen contestants |
Once back on stage and after the optional awards, the group was narrowed down to the top ten and each top ten contestant was given a rose.
| Miss Arizona Pre-Teen giving Rachel the rose (they have become good friends) |
Then came the final announcement. You know how when watching Miss America and the winner is announced and she looks surprised...we have always mocked that, thinking it was so fake.
Well, when you've never had an experience, it really is easy to mock or judge, but when they announced Rachel's name as the winner... her face was priceless!
Complete and utter shock...from all of us. We know she is beautiful and amazing, but....wow!
| Does she seem like she already has the wave down or what? |
| Miss Utah Preteen, Runners Up and Judges |
As I tried to make it up front after the pageant was over, I was stopped by one of the judges. She asked if Rachel was my daughter and I excitedly said yes. And she then said "oh we loved her, she was so genuine."
Rachel now has lots to do. Getting more involved in the community and volunteer work as well as getting ready to go to Nationals in November and representing Utah.
We started a website for Rachel that we will try to update periodically: http://www.bellarachel.com/
3 comments:
What great pictures of our beautiful granddaughter and the excellent honor she earned. We love you, Rachel, and are very proud of you.
CONGRATULATIONS to your little sweetheart! Smart judges! She is adorable!
This is so amazing!!! Rachel deserves this! She is so beautiful! Can't wait to see you girls!! PS your hair is so long! I love it!
Post a Comment