Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Eve

I must admit, I woke up in the middle of the night before Christmas Eve worried. I felt I did too much and didn't get the kids involved enough. I didn't help them see the true meaning of Christmas. I woke up several times through out the night with these same thoughts.

Luckily for us, Rachel's 4th grade class made Christmas cards for the local nursing home at their party on the last day of school. Since I am her room mom this year, I offered to have our family take them. So Christmas Eve had arrived and we needed to get them to the nursing home. We all got ready, including Maike and Lana - Jared's mom, and drove over. Inside the foyer was a beautiful grand piano. Lana made herself at home and started playing Christmas carols and the kids handed out some of the cards to the ladies sitting there. Our family then gathered around the piano and sang several hymns. Ethan even accompanied us for Jingle Bells on the piano. Rachel and Lana sang Stars were Gleaming. I was really feeling the spirit of Christ. This is what it is about.

We then went and knocked on doors to many of the residents. If they asked us in, we would give them a card and sing We wish you a Merry Christmas and talk for a few minutes. These residents were overjoyed and so were we. Rachel kept talking about the last resident we sang to, she wanted us to sing again and again.



Afterwards, we decided to go to Temple Square to see the lights. The only downside was it was extremely cold and the main buildings had already closed for the night. We strolled around for about 45 minutes and then figured since we couldn't feel our toes and fingers that it was time to head home.



I was so glad that my Heavenly Father heard my prayers and knew my worries and helped me figure out a way to make it better. Merry Christ (mas). Mas in spanish means more. How appropriate.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Your children will remember this experience forever! What a sweet thing.

Grandpa said...

Sounds like a really fun family project that affects some others in a very positive way. Great lesson and experience for your kids to learn and take part in. I know when our Barbershop Group performs in area nursing homes and retirement centers each year, the residents love it. Going around afterward and talking with as many as possible, just as you are doing, is a very important part of that experience. Good works!