Wednesday, March 25, 2009

To the moon and back!












Do you remember that song by Sting, "Walking on the Moon?" If I knew how, I would download it to the blog...maybe I should ask my 5 yr old how to do it???? I must say I used to think of myself as technically savvy, that time has now past. Jared even laughs, in exasperation, that I won't download any songs from our Itunes onto my Nano...I wait for him to do it. Lame....

Back from my tangent.... we took 3 of the kids and Rachel's friend, Katie, to the Clark Planetarium. The favorite part was "walking" on the moon and Saturn and getting to see an actual space suit. Upon looking at this suit, Luke looks up at me and says, "I want to be an astronaut!" I said great, and wanting to say, "you better hit the books now, yes even in kindergarten!"

His responses upon coming home from kindergarten have drastically improved since the beginning of the school year. In the beginning half of the year, he would drag himself off the bus, slowly saunter in, drop his backpack and look at me with this sad face and say "School is TOO LONG" or "I HATE SCHOOL" or something else along those lines. It took me until January to come up with a good response to counteract the attitude. The minute he would start to say "I HATE...", I would immediately inform him that he owes me 10 cents. Honestly, I was shocked at the immediate turnaround in his responses. At first, terror overtook him because where was he going to come up with 10 cents because he knew it would add up quickly because of how often he was saying it. I, of course, would give him one chance to change his response before the charge would take place. So far, I haven't collected a dime! I am amazed because he now gets off the bus happy, sometimes even smiling, and tells me what his favorite thing to do that day was. Funny little parenting tricks that actually work!

No comments: