Friday, February 3, 2012

Jared's "silent surprise 40th bday party"!

I have felt like I have been living event to event for this past year. Not a great way to live but it worked for me this last year. Once we got home from Disneyland, my next event to prepare for was Jared's 40th bday. It has been a difficult year, work-wise, which of course affects the finances. So I knew I needed to be creative without a lot of cost. I had thought about a surprise party but many people I would invite, live far away. That is when I got this great idea!

I contacted many friends and family members to write down wishes, memories, anything to Jared. Then late the night before his birthday, after he went to bed. I covered our dining room area with all the thoughts everyone sent. I then wrote him a letter and posted it on our bathroom mirror. At the end it said there are more than 40 reasons why you are loved! (I had close to 70 responses)

Unfortunately for me, he woke up early!!! He said he couldn't sleep. It was about 6am! What this breaks our family tradition, for those of you that know, of cake in bed!

I knew I needed to get up with him. I had him go back into the bathroom and read my note. Then I walked downstairs with him. He was shocked, utterly speechless. He finally whispered "it's like a silent surprise party!" He then read every single note.
This is him after, goofing around of course. He was very touched. Some funny memories, some touching tributes, some fun notes from nieces and nephews.

We did make him go back to bed. The kids gathered his gifts and Rachel carried the birthday homemade peppermint cheesecake with a candle into him in bed!

Then of course, it was playday outside with the kids!

1 comment:

Dad/Grandpa said...

Definitely a birthday to remember. A very creative and meaningful way to celebrate for Jared. You all did a terrific thing for your partner and kids' dad.